Tuesday, June 15, 2010

7 is my lucky number.

Me and Aldin circa: 2003

So today was my and my husband's 7-year anniversary! It was a very nice day and it was also sunny which I think makes any day automatically better. We had a leisurely (read: liquid) lunch at Joey's on their quasi-patio. (BTW, bellini mondays only 3.99!) We didn't want to have something huge because we were going to have a fancy shmancy dinner, so we decided to just share my new fave thing on the menu: Baja Fish Tacos (mmm...) and the Chicken Lettuce Wraps. So good. There is nothing like eating with your sunglasses on! And I have to say that Joey's definitely knows what to do with seafood. I usually like their Ahi Tuna Club, but lately I've been completely enamored with those fish tacos.

For dinner we had reservations at Lobby on York. Usually I roll my eyes at these sorts of "high-brow" places that don't give you a full meal unless you "put it together" ie. everything is "a la carte". But the last time we were there, I was pleasantly surprised to find the food was actually quite good. The portions were fine, not too big and not too small and though it was a bit on the pricier side, all in all it was worth it. I was looking forward to it! I always love good food. We started off with the Sauteed Chicken Livers, which our waiter stated was an "excellent choice". Then he described the 3 different types of steaks as the most tender, the juiciest and the most flavorful. My husband chose "the juiciest" (Prime Bone In Rib Steak) along with a side of Roasted Asparagus with Poached Egg. (I just love a good poached egg). Going in, I had decided that I was going to have the same steak as my husband because last time his was really good. But after the waiter's description, I decided to have the "most flavorful" (the New York Striploin) with the Wild Mushroom Risotto. The waiter also asked if we wanted to add Lobster Tail to our dinners, which was a little bit funny - only because the way he asked it was like if you wanted potato or fries with your dinner. Like, it wasn't going to cost you an extra $22 to add it. Anyways, we politely declined. The appetizer came and it definitely was as our waiter proclaimed: excellent. For chicken liver haters, even you guys would like it. It did not taste like liver at all. It was served in a delicious brown saute with crispy onions on top of crisp toast with carmelized pear and a hint of cambezola cheese. mmmmm....Then our steaks came out. Rather my husband's steak came out and my little chunk of steak came out. Now I don't know about you, but when I hear "striploin" I think of a strip. As in a long piece of steak. This little chunk (which is the only way I can describe it) was most definitely not what I was expecting. But I thought to myself, it's the most flavorful. One cut in and...unfortunately I could not tell you that. I had asked for medium but unfortunately mine was just slightly under WELL DONE. I was pretty sure they had given me the wrong steak. The risotto was okay, but not as good as last time. My husband's dinner on the other hand was perfect. His steak was juicy and the egg on his asparagus was perfectly poached. I lamented about not going with my original choice (which was to have the same steak as my husband). Then had an epiphany. My husband said that I should always go with my first instinct, because whenever I change my mind at the last minute, I inevitably regret it. It's so true. Last time I decided on the same hotdog and did not regret my decision! In fact, I quite enjoyed it. Hm...he's learned a lot about me in the last seven years. So I thought about dessert. At first I wanted it, then was going to change my mind. Then remembered to trust my first instinct and asked for the dessert menu. We decided to have the tasting menu which consisted of 3 mini desserts: a chocolate caramel brownie, lemon curd with strawberries and shortbread and my fave: creme brulee. So even though the middle part of dinner was not the greatest, the beginning and the end were perfect. Plus instead of a doggy bag, I went home with a new decision making policy: always go with my first choice.

Well, it's after 12:00 so my anniversary is officially over. But, I'm very happy to say that my husband and I are still going strong : )

No comments:

Post a Comment