Monday, June 7, 2010

And I thought ketchup, mustard and onions made the perfect hotdog.

Yesterday we had gourmet hotdogs for lunch. I know, that seems to be somewhat of an oxymoron, but let me tell you - it was delicioso. First, any hotdog that lasts the whole length of the bun is already in my good books. Add in loaded toppings and it doesn't get much better than that. The place we went to featured hotdogs with different toppings. There was a "Zorba" which obviously had greek type toppings (feta, tomatoes, cucumbers, etc.), a "Godfather" which had italian type toppings (mozzarella, pizza sauce, pepperoni) a "Reuben" topped with sauerkraut, and so on. Anyways my husband and I both had the "Canadian". I usually like to have something different than my husband, but the Canadian sounded too irresistable to share: a hotdog topped with bacon, chili and cheese. And just to make it that much better - they topped that with potato chips! (Hello, they had me at bacon!) Anyways, they also had fries on top of which you could get the usual gravy or poutine. On this visit, we just got plain fries, which were awesome! However, they also had something called "Smothered fries" which we didn't order, but the next table did and boy, were they smothered! They were topped with cheese, bacon, chili and chopped up hotdogs.

So proud to be Canadian! lol

This place (whose name I can't remember at the moment, sorry!) also had an array of bottled sodas (250 different kinds apparently) including pic-a-pop! If the soda you chose wasn't chilled, they had some kind of machine that would chill it for you in 2 minutes. After much indecision, I ended up choosing a lemonade soda (called "Leninade" lol) while my husband chose a classic rootbeer. Ah so refreshing! This little place was so good - we felt like we were in an episode of "Diners, Drive-ins and Dives"! Next time I think I will try the "Baba" hotdog, which is topped with bacon and cheddar perogies, cheese, bacon and sour cream... mmmmm.  I think Guy Fieri would be proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment