Saturday, February 4, 2012

Pinteresting...very pinteresting

So anyways, as I stated in my previous post, I’m completely and utterly obsessed with Pinterest. So much so, that I went through the trouble of setting up an actual Twitter account, just so I could log into it!

Since I signed up for Twitter anyways, I figured I would follow random people like: the Biebs, Cory Monteith, Ashton Kutcher, Ellen DeGeneres, Jimmy Fallon and my friend Mar. I was so excited and proud when I sent out my first tweet: “Hello Twitterverse, I’ve arrived! Be excited!” then I waited…

Nothing happened. There was no "Welcome to Twitter Lisette!" from Ashton or anyone. Obviously he was busy. So I asked my friend what was up with the Twitter snobbiness?!

Okay, so apparently, people don’t see your tweets unless they’re actually FOLLOWING you. So this whole “twitterverse” that I was tweeting…was really only my friend Mar, who could not stop laughing at me! (I'm sure she's still laughing...) Here I thought I was tweeting to the Biebs, Cory, Ashton, Ellen and Jimmy (yes, we’re on a first name basis) and the rest of the world. Duh. I’m SOOO not cut out for social networking.

However, what I AM cut out for is following hella easy recipes on Pinterest! Well…kind of cut out. I actually never follow recipes to the letter and kind of make up my own. I mean, I’ll read it to get the gist of it and then just do and add whatever the hell I want. The end result is usually pretty good! If I have to, I will substitute ingredients on the list for stuff I have in my pantry. No need to go out and buy an ingredient if you already have something similar in your pantry!

For example…let me tell you about my famous Shmoo cupcakes! One of my friends gave me her recipe, which I followed…but I changed some things. Let me tell you about it…

The basic ingredients for the Shmoo cupcakes are: butter pecan cake, whipped cream and caramel sauce.

So I followed her recipe for the actual cupcakes with some additions of my own (like skor bar added to the batter. Mmmm!). For the whipped topping I just used Cool Whip. For the caramel sauce I needed: brown sugar, butter and cream. I checked my pantry and I did not have any of those things…however, I did have: white sugar, margarine and milk. I was sure that would work. So I started to make it…

I couldn’t understand why the margarine and sugar mixture was not turning brown…so I turned up the heat. It still didn’t look right, but I thought I’d dip my finger in to taste it. First of all, hot melted sugar is fricken HOT. I burned my finger. So I screamed “OW!” But then for some inexplicable reason I touched my finger to my lip (I guess I thought if I could taste it, it wouldn’t be as bad. Don't ask.) Anyways, I touched my scalded finger (with the hot, melted sugar) to my lip and promptly screamed even louder “OW!” This time my husband came running (he ignored my first scream) and was like “What the hell?!” I was like “I burned my finger and now my lip!! OW!” I immediately ran my finger under some cold water (it blistered) then doused my lips with cold water…which began to blister as well. I went to the computer to Google “lip burns” and found that Blistex would apparently soothe it. So I sent my husband out to buy the Blistex. Did I mention this was 11:00 at night? He bought the Blistex for me… and also wisely bought a bottle of caramel sauce. So see? Instead of wasting time making caramel sauce, I just now keep a bottle of it in my fridge. True Story.

Anyways…as I mentioned in my previous post, I want to tell you about some of the recipes I tried on Pinterest.

Well, you already know about the cheesecake stuffed strawberries (the dipping in chocolate was my own addition). This week I tried:

1) Pizza Crescent Roll-ups. This was relatively easy and really yummy. It’s actually a no-brainer. Pepperoni and shredded mozza cheese inside a Pillsbury Crescent Roll with marinara sauce (from a jar) to dip it in. Delicioso. I will definitely do it again maybe next time with bacon and cheddar cheese?

2) Mini Kiss/Hug Pies. These are made with ready-made pie crust and Hershey’s Kisses & Hugs. My friend Mar tried the recipe first and brought it for us at work. They were very good. So I thought I’d try it too because it was so easy. Mine were very…pie crust-y. They were good, but you definitely need a big glass of milk to wash it down, and the chocolate didn’t really melt for some reason. Next time, I think I will try puff pastry and another kind of chocolate. I guess I won’t be able to call them “Kiss pies” though. Anyways, it wasn’t too bad, and it was still “ta da!”

3) Stuffed Zucchini: This was a yummy recipe that I actually only saw a picture of and made up the stuffing on my own. Ground beef, onions, garlic, red peppers, zucchini and the rest of the marinara sauce from the jar (that I used for the pizza crescent roll-ups) topped with shredded cheese. This was very easy and delicious! Although hollowed out zucchini doesn’t actually hold too much filling. So after I took the pic, I just put sauce all over the zucchini, topped it with more cheese and mic’d it to melt the cheese. Easy.

I have bookmarked a bunch more recipes which I’m hoping to try whenever I get a chance…some examples? Nutella Cheesecake, Pink Lemonade Cake and S’mores Bars…Pinterest is definitely NOT helping my diet. However, they also put in some good exercise plans to combat this as well! LOL. I plan to try those out one day too…at this rate, it will have to be soon!

Have a great weekend everyone! If you have a chance, check it out, try out some recipes and tell me whether they worked or whether they were fails. Happy pinning!

No comments:

Post a Comment