Wednesday, February 2, 2011

This is the life...the totally fab life!

Hi Fab Lifers! I know, I know, it's been awhile...however,  I did think about you all as I lay on the beach in sunny Hawaii...Yes I said, Hawaii. That's how I roll in my totally fab life. haha!

Ah, Hawaii, it's amazing to think that on Friday I was wearing a tank top and flip flops and today I'm back to Uggs and mitts. What the deuce?! I kept saying to my husband "I can't believe that it can be hot and sunny in one part of the world and snowing in another." Craziness.

Last time I went to Hawaii 10 years ago I got a lot of flack about only going to the beach once (I was at the mall every other day for that week). Don't get me wrong, I also went to Pearl Harbor and attended a Luau...but that was about it. I figured the pool every morning was good enough for "water" and the walk to the mall was good for "sun". Plus the mall was pretty much an outdoor mall so that also counted as "sun". We also walked the Waikiki strip from time to time and it was fine by me. We had rice and pineapple at McDonalds too - so in my mind I had a successful Hawaiian trip. I didn't understand why everyone was on my case about not doing anything but shopping!

 Anyways this time I decided to be different. It was gonna be a real holiday - relaxing by the pool or the beach and maybe perhaps going to the mall only once or twice. My mom was insistent that Hawaii was too expensive for us to be shopping all the time. I told her that she couldn't seriously ask me to NOT go shopping while we were there but my sister and I figured that since we were going to be gone for 9 days that we could at least just spend our exemption limit of $750.00. That seemed reasonable.

We arrived in Hawaii all ready to go to Pearl Harbour, the Dole Plantation, a Luau and of course relax on the beach and at the pool. There was only one tiny, miniscule little detail that might hamper my (and my sister's) resolve to not shop all the time...our hotel was attached by a walkway to the mall.

We were staying at the Ala Moana Hotel which was attached to the Ala Moana Shopping Center...the biggest mall in Hawaii. Oops! How did that happen? hehe...

We arrived in the evening and were picked up from the airport by my mom's relatives. As we drove my second (or was it third?) cousin explained that the weather previous to our arrival hadn't been that good and as such the beach wasn't going to be a great place to go as it had what they called "brown water" due to the rains and landslides. She thought that our next day would be a perfect day to check out the mall as it wasn't going to be perfect beach weather for us right away. We were slightly disappointed, but figured, at least we could get the mall out of the way and then spend the rest of the time relaxing at the beach.

The next day, as we woke up we saw that it wasn't sunny. It wasn't cloudy but we figured it wasn't a day to hang by the pool. Therefore, a perfect day to check out the mall...By the time we were ready, the sun was shining, the sky was blue, but we had already decided we were going to check out the mall. You know, get it over with. As we walked across the parking lot from our hotel to the mall (literally steps away) I thought to myself "$750.00 is a lot - I'm so going to be able to stay in that limit."

And I did...until our 3rd day.

To be continued...

2 comments:

  1. All I can say is that you and I are not allowed on a trip together that would involve walking or driving past any type of place you can purchase something (even apparently a buck boutique, that's a completely different story).

    The hardest thing about shopping, especially shopping in another city or let alone country, is you can always use the excuse, "well who knows when I'm going to come back here." Then whoever you're travelling with understands your justification, and then you get to go on your merry way into the land of shopping.

    I am not a person who can say no to any purchase without trying to reason it out that I should buy it. So Lisette, I think it would be an adventure if we went on a vacation together and went shopping. I think you and I would end up buying the world!!

    Pamela

    ReplyDelete
  2. i can't wait to see what else you got! ate laur emailed me some pics.

    ReplyDelete