Monday, February 7, 2011

Superbowl XLV and Glee: Which half-time show did you like better?

Quinn and Finn…again?!

Well let’s face it, Finn is super delicious, but I thought Quinn and Sam were happy together? Okay, wait a minute, let’s back it up for a moment.

The Superbowl – what did you think? Did your team win? I thought it was a good game, but I guess since I wasn’t totally invested in either team, it didn’t matter to me as much. I slightly favored the Steelers, but sorry to say – any team I choose, usually loses (sorry – I’m bad luck that way). I think I just chose the Steelers because I knew who their quarterback was. I had no idea who the Packers QB was and I kept asking throughout most of the game. Anyways, I was more interested in the half-time show. I do enjoy the Black Eyed Peas – I don’t know why everyone is all hating on their half-time show. It wasn’t awful and at least it wasn’t old school singers from the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s. I mean really. I didn’t understand the whole Slash thing, but whatevs. Usher wasn’t bad, he did do the splits which explains his low crotch “white pants, white pants, who’s wearing white pants?” pants. For the most part, I was happy they did their new song, because I enjoy the “Dirty bits” part (and the running man!) Also, I liked the whole glow in the dark outfits thing. As for the singers before the actual game: Lea Michelle singing America the Beautiful wasn’t bad either. She belted it out and it was good. I’m always concerned that someone is going to forget the words. And…apparently someone did. I just finished saying “My worst fear if I was singing in front of a humongous crowd of over 100,000 people and millions of television viewers would be to forget the lyrics of the National Anthem” and lo and behold, Christina Aguilera did just that. Oh well, it had to happen right? And I’m sure someone in Vegas won big money on that one! As for the Superbowl Commercials – I was slightly grossed out by a couple of them: That guy sucking on that other guy’s finger in the Doritos commercial and the Joan Rivers in the GoDaddy.com one. (I still don’t know what Go Daddy is – I don’t really care to find out either). I missed the Justin Bieber one (boo) and I would just see parts of other commercials, so I can’t say there’s anything that totally wowed me. Anyways…enough football talk. Truthfully the only reason I watched the game (other than Superbowl party food!) was because I wanted to make sure I didn’t miss the Glee episode following the game.

Well, Glee got right back into it with a full on Katy Perry-esque “California Gurls” rendition by the Cheerios complete with blue wigs and fire shooting out of cheerleader megaphone bras. It may have wowed us, but Sue Sylvester wasn’t having any of it. Even having the Cheerios slap each other with chicken cutlets didn’t put a smile on her face. She decided the only thing that could possibly get her excited again was having poor Brittany shoot out of a cannon. Brittany, to her credit, didn’t want to sign her life away (or at least until One Tree Hill got cancelled). Meanwhile, the in-fighting between the football guys and the Glee football guys was getting worse. How upsetting was it to see the slushie assault on Artie?! Coach Bieste and Mr. Schu decided they were going to fix it “Philippine Prison Style” by having the Football guys join the Gleeks during the half-time show performing a mash-up of Thriller and Heads will Roll. Scary Football bully guy was resistant (along with the others) but after some encouragement by Mr. Schu, he found that he didn’t mind it. In fact, dare we say, he even enjoyed it! So much so, he suggested a warm-up number with just the football guys! Everything was peachy keen, with everyone working together until…the mulleted Hockey guys gave them a taste of their own “slushie” medicine. After this the football guys decided they wanted no part of the whole football halftime show, even if it meant they couldn’t play in the championship game.

As a brief interlude (as well as a chance to show us Kurt, since by this time we all must have been saying “What? Where’s Kurt?!”) the Dalton Warblers gave us their rendition of “Bills, Bills, Bills”.  It was okay – I mean, the first time we saw the Warblers do their “Teenage Dream” thing, we were all “Wow!” but everytime they are on, doesn’t it seem like they keep doing the same thing? I’m over it. I want more Kurt. How about another duet with Blaine, instead of the whole acapella thing? (On a side note, did anyone else tear up when Chris Colfer, who plays darling Kurt, won at the Golden Globes? I must say, I loved his speech. It was a perfect mix of surprise, modesty and poise. Love him!)

Meanwhile, Sue had convinced Brittany that the “baby cannons” were going to go hungry if she didn't get shot from the cannon. Sue also arranged for the national cheerleading competition to coincide with the big game, which meant, Quinn, Santana and Brittany were also going to be missing from the half-time show! Finn tried to convince Quinn to quit the Cheerios, which lead to a shoulder shoving match with Sam. (Quinn thought it was kinda hot. LOL)

Anyways…back to the big game. Or lack of it, since it looked like the football team was going to have to forfeit due to the fact half of them weren't going to be playing. Enter our Glee girls (minus the 3 Cheerios) who decided they were going to go on the field as “players” just so there would be a full team. They weren’t actually going to play, and at first it seemed like a good idea…but it wasn't winning them the game. So at one point Tina got up and started running with the ball! Unfortunately she got tackled and knocked out! She luckily woke up and asked “Did we win?” to the relief of Mike Chang and everyone else. Finally "Leader" Finn decided enough was enough - he convinced the 3 Cheerios to forget about the cheerleading competition (and stand up to a speechless Sue!) and join the Glee club on the field as fellow zombies for the half-time show. He also dispatched Puck to convince the football guys to do the same (minus Karofsky). The team (in full out Zombie gear) finally reunited took to the field for the Thriller that was the half-time show. Even Karofsky was so taken in by the excitement of the crowd that he decided to join in! Of course after this, the team was unstoppable (pretty much creeping the other team out by chanting “Brains, Brains, BRAINS!”) and went on to win the Championship!

But just when you thought singing and dancing was enough to make everyone happy, reality once again set in when Finn asked Karofsky to apologize to Kurt, he angrily refused and once again, scary football bully guy returned. Quinn however, was impressed with Finn’s leadership and perserverance. Which led to a kiss between Quinn and Finn...

Is this a new beginning for Quinn and Finn? What’s going to happen with Sam? What will Rachel do when she finds out? Will Karofsky ever stop being a jerk? Will we ever see Kurt again!? I guess we'll have to tune in to this Tuesday's episode to find out...See you then!

1 comment: