Friday, February 19, 2010

I think you're super-delicious

I wasn't going to write today because I'm kind of in a grumpy mood. (Obvi, hair is not cooperating today!) But, then I thought I would just write about something that always makes me feel better. Food. More specifically, food from one of my fave restaurants: Bistro 7 1/4. It's a little restaurant on Osborne (out of the village) but its an AWESOME place. The chef cooks right in the middle of the restaurant and you can either sit at the bar and watch him work his magic or at one of the few, highly sought-after tables in this cozy french bistro. I discovered it when I started taking the bus to St. Vital Shopping Center (or St. Vlts, as I call it). The bus would go past and I would be intrigued by the twinkling lights in the window...so one (day after) Valentime's day I made a reso for me and my husband and it was SO good. So now, it's kind of a tradition to go there for either the day before or the day after Valentime's! This year, as last, we went with my sister and her husband.

We usually start with some apps - in this case, we had a cheese board (which I am starting to really get into -  St. Andre is my fave!) and  my sister had french onion soup while I ordered the Coquille St. Jacques (a V-day special). They were all good (except my scallops were SO hot that when I cut them open they were still steaming! ie. hot came out!) But still so good. (I forgot to take pics of our apps).

Then we got our meals. The guys always get "The Hammerchop". Sounds daunting, doesn't it? Well it is. It's a huge steak on a huge bone...it reminds me of the Flintstones! But the guys swear by it - it's a "man's" meal - though one of my friends have ordered it and she loved it as well. It came with creamy cauliflower gratin and sweet potato fries. Mmm....
I usually order the mussels and they have a bunch of different ways you can have them prepared. This day I chose: beer, bacon and cheddar. With mussels? You might be doubtful. But no, seriously, I think it is one of the best concoctions ever. The broth is amazing and they use this thick, thick cut bacon...Does bacon not make EVERYTHING better? They serve it with these fresh cut, shoe string fries and mayo. My mouth is seriously watering...
My sister ordered the special for the evening - Chicken. ( I can't remember what the "official" name was, but it was to die for as well.) It came with fresh, green beans, tempura'd leeks and roasted potatoes with this delightful white wine cream sauce.

We didn't have room for dessert!

Delicioso!

So if you get a chance to go, you should.
Tell them Lee sent you. (Though they probably will look at you strangely and say "okayyyyy").

No comments:

Post a Comment