Sunday, September 26, 2010

Style Vs. Comfort: Round 2?

So everytime I go on a trip where a lot of walking is involved, my feet always become my worst enemy. I know everyone always says, "WEAR COMFY SHOES!" But here's the thing: I think that no matter how comfortable your shoes are, after walking around all day, your feet/legs are going to hurt! To this end, my goal in life has been to find comfortable AND stylish shoes. It has definitely not been an easy task in previous years. When I'd find something stylish, I'd have to sacrifice the comfort, or vice versa. Well this year, I was able to find these great platform-ish heels that were pretty comfy as well! Don't get me wrong, after wearing them all night during our Girls Night Out in Vegas last June, well...you saw the video. It took me 10 minutes to get from the bed to the bathroom. Actually though, that was quite the improvement from my first trip to Vegas, when I my feet hurt so much they were literally BLEEDING. (Now that's suffering for fashion!) I had bandaids on each one of my toes. There was nothing I could put on my feet to make them feel better. I cringed every time I took a step and I swore that I would never again put myself in that kind of pain. In fact, I believe that this commitment to not having bleeding feet again is what got me my current job. Don't laugh!! I'm pretty sure it's true!!

We had come back from this foot-killing Vegas trip at 4:30am. I had an interview for a new job at 1:00pm. I went home and promptly fell asleep until noon. I got up, soaked my feet for as long as I could, and got ready in time for my interview. My (soon-to-be) boss asked me the usual interview type questions: What are your strengths? (Organization and commitment to crossing things off my "to-do lists") What are your weaknesses? (Being a perfectionist! Haha. No, actually it was "Not being able to say "no" to work" :) I'm such a cliché!)...And then he asked "Have you ever made a decision you regret and what did you learn from it?" Well, at this point, my feet were still throbbing, and as I tried to wriggle them in my heels (UGH!) I winced and answered "Well...the only thing I can think of right now, is how badly my feet hurt. I wore brand new shoes to Vegas which was an awful decision and one that I truly regret! I definitely learned my lesson and will never wear new shoes (no matter how fashionable) on a trip to Vegas again!" He laughed loudly and wrote on his pad of paper "Sore feet". He excused himself from the interview, while I sat there, cursing my feet,  those fabulous, leopard print peep-toe skimmers that were my downfall, and myself, for what I had just said. UGH!!! What was I thinking? And then he came back and said, "We would like to offer you the position, if you want it?" Obviously I said "Yes!" (Anyone that would hire someone, despite the fact they had made a bad decision about their footwear HAD to be a great boss!)

Anyways, in preparation for my upcoming trip I've decided to bring some über comfy (yet stylish) flats, that also happen to be very light! I'm planning to carry these around in my bag so that when my feet inevitably start to hurt, I can change into something comfy...Smart, no?

Hopefully, I will decide to change into these BEFORE my feet start to bleed! (However, I am also hopeful that I will be able to walk around New York in my stylish heels for as long as possible - they do complete my outfits, after all.)

I know, I know. Some people just never learn. (I've already packed my bandaids.)

No comments:

Post a Comment