Sunday, May 30, 2010

Sex and the City 2: A review - I didn't hate it...but I didn't love it either.

NOTE: If you haven't watched the movie yet - you might not want to read my quasi-review...


Okay, let me first say that I love Sex & the City. I have every season on dvd, I have the movie (the version that first came out and the Special Edition Wedding Box set), I have the books (including the movie books), I've even gone on the SATC tour in New York! I've watched the show since the beginning and when it was done, I felt really sad - like my friends were going away. I was so excited when the first SATC movie came out and it was so SO good. The story, the acting, the fashion. Gorgeous! I loved the whole thing. And as I've mentioned in a previous post - I thought that the first movie was "good closure" for the series. However, when the trailer for the next movie came out - I couldn't help but get swept up in the excitement! How could I not, with the strains of Alicia Keys singing the refrain of "Empire State of Mind" and the girls parading in sumptious "vacationing-in-Abu-Dhabi-all-expenses-paid" outfits?! Even if the trailer didn't really say exactly what we were in for - we knew we were in for some kind of adventure! If you were like me, you were just happy to see the girls back and couldn't wait to see what this film would bring.

Well, I took the day off on Friday to watch it with my sister-in-law Belin. We had good seats, buttery popcorn, a 1/2 fruitopia, 1/2 sprite drink each and maltesers! We settled in to watch the movie and it was...
eh.

It was aight - but I would be lying to you and myself if I didn't say that it left a little something to be desired. Don't get me wrong - I loved seeing the girls and their over the top fashion. I loved seeing them living it up! I loved seeing how their lives changed from the last movie. But...I don't know if it was the story or the dialogue, but it seemed to me, that something was missing. Like, it didn't have the substance or foundation that it usually did. The shows were delightful, insightful and funny. The last movie was thoughtful, heartbreaking and a fitting continuation/conclusion to the show that I loved. Something happened that progressed their stories and at the end of the movie, you just knew that they would all live happily every after. However, this movie did not seem to progress their stories. I mean, yes, it showed how their lives changed in the past two years, but it all seemed very....fluffy. Of course there were moments of brilliance (such as when Anthony read his wedding vows and the whole idea of Carrie and Big's decision to not have children and people's reaction to it - which I can kind of relate to and wished they explored a little bit more!) but for the most part, it all just seemed a little bit forced and excessive (and not in a good way). Even the fashion wasn't enough to sustain me. Yes, it was beautiful, but as I read somewhere else - there was so much, that you didn't even have time to fall in love with anything in particular ie. like the iconic Dior Extremes Carrie wore in the last movie. (Though I did love Carrie's J'adore Dior t-shirt ballgown outfit. But it might've been because it was perpel.)

i love these!! (circa 2008)

j'adore! (circa 2010)

I feel bad that this is how I feel about it! I really wanted to love it - like everything else SATC, but I think my first instinct (that they should have quit while they were ahead) was correct. It wasn't as awful as some of the reviews I've read, but it also wasn't the best and what we've come to expect from the Carrie-Samantha-Miranda and Charlotte franchise.

However, I will most definitely watch the movie again. I'm planning to give it a second chance. Maybe I'm being too harsh! Maybe I was concentrating too much.

If that doesn't work, I will have to give it a third chance... And if that doesn't work, then maybe they need to do one more movie: Sex and the City 3: Redemption.

No comments:

Post a Comment