Sunday, March 21, 2010

I guess you always need a back-up.

So on Saturday, I was getting ready to go out. The house was clean, shower was taken, outfit was chosen, only hair and makeup was left to do. I combed my wet hair, pumped out my volumizing mousse, plugged in my hair dryer and...nothing. I was like "What the?" So I unplugged it and plugged it into the other plug. And...still nothing. I unplugged it and tried a whole different plug, clicked the on/off button and still nothing. How could this happen? I just used it the day before and there was no hint that there was something wrong with it. I felt the panic start to rise as I shook my hair dryer, hoping that would bring it back to life. NOOOOOO! I screamed. I ran out of the room and shrieked to my husband "OMG!!! My hair dryer's not working! What the hell am I gonna do?!" My husband, used to my melodrama, calmly suggested that I drive to my sister's house to use hers until we could go and buy a new one. UGH!!!! Luckily my sister only lives two minutes away. As I grabbed the keys I could hear him say "You better hurry! Your hair is starting to dry..." UGHHH....So I called my sister to let her know I was on my way. Now all of you know that I do not drive. That is, unless I absolutely have to. So here I was, racing against time because I could feel my cowlick starting to curl, while the rest of my hair started to dry, straight and limp to my head. I ran into my sister's house, gave my nephew a quick kiss and ran upstairs. She was on the phone with her husband, when I came in. She was saying "Lee just got here. No, by herself. Her hair dryer broke. Yup! She drove here by herself! Desperation, desperation..." (snicker, snicker). I had to ignore it and concentrate on the task at hand. My hair was almost dry already, so I had to re-wet it. I had a bad feeling about it, but I continued on. I turned the blow dryer on and instantly felt some relief...I thought that perhaps I could salvage it. I finished drying my hair, but then realized I didn't bring my straightener. Well, luckily my sister had hers already plugged in. So I started to straighten...and straighten it did...And as I did this, I remembered how much stronger my sister's straightener was than mine. Like my hair was totally straight. Uh-oh. Well I couldn't stop now, I was on a time crunch. So I kept straightening, thinking that I could pump up the volume with some hairspray...which I also forgot to bring. My sister came upstairs and started showing me the new stuff she had bought on her last trip. I don't know why. All the while, I tried to fix what was happening on my head. Unfortunately, I was past the point of no return. My hair was stick straight with no volume and an uneven part. Lovely.  So...I took one last look, groaned and went downstairs. My 19-month old nephew looked at me and said "Boom, boom, pow!" I said, "I know." So I had to go knowing that basically, I had gone there for nothing. My hair was not suitable for going out in public. I came home and told my husband that there was no way in hell that I was going out. He looked at me, rolled his eyes and said, "Are you f-ing serious? As if you don't have a back-up!" I said, " Why the hell would I have a back-up. My hair dryer didn't tell me it was going to DIE on me. Look at me! You don't understand, I can't go out. I just need a new hair dryer!!!" He asked me why I didn't just go to Walmart to buy a hair dryer since I was already out. I gave him a look and said "What do you not understand? I cannot go out in public looking like this." I mean really, did my husband not know me by now? Looking in my eyes he realized that he was just not going to win this argument. He just said "What kind of hair dryer?" I was like "I don't care. Anything Conair. It doesn't matter." He rolled his eyes one more time, grabbed his keys and left. I couldn't do anything until he came back. After what seemed like an eternity he came back, brand new hair dryer in hand and once again saved my day. Having a back-up hair dryer would be nice. But I would never want a back-up husband. The one I have is perfect.

Awww...

4 comments:

  1. Aww, would you like some pandesal with that cheese? ;-)

    You make a great case for a back-up hair-dryer...I may have to get one soon because I've had mine forever. But does this mean you also need a back-up straightener?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya, he is. Can you make an extra of him?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can you imagine 2 Aldin's? Yikes.

    After my meltdown on Saturday, I would have to say Yes. A back-up straightener is in order.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i can actually see aldin's face - his eyes rolling - BUT he loves you TOO much not to conair it to walmart! i love it!

    ReplyDelete