Monday, March 1, 2010

"I love goooooold." - Goldmember (and everyone in Canada)

Bonjour mes amis! Welcome back to the start of another work week...RECAP!

Obvi, I would be remiss if I didn't write about the extremely eventful and at times, heart-stopping, weekend that just happened. (BTW, do you like the french? It's in honour of this past weekend too). So...where should I start?

Well, I'm sure everyone is straggling in with hangovers from the celebrations last night! The BIG game lived up to they hype and our hockey team won GOLD (yay!) against our neighbors to the south. I kept yelling "We have to win! It's a matter of our dignity and pride!" (the last part is from "The Little Rascals". Spanky says it when Stymie tells him to be friends with Alfalfa again...but I digress) Anyways, I'm sure the whole country collectively sighed with relief when Sidney Crosby (finally) scored that Gold-securing goal. (As I'm sure the whole country collectively freaked 15 minutes earlier when Parise scored that heart-attack inducing goal! Seriously? We couldn't hang on for like 50 more seconds to win in regular time?!) Although perhaps we have a problem with the last few moments of important games because what about what happened last Friday, which had me and I'm sure all of yous, hyperventilating until the very last second? Anyways, I guess I shouldn't dwell. So yes, Canada has the gold in both men's and women's hockey! Our dignity and pride is intact. Congratulations to us!

And what about the closing ceremonies? I loved the beginning where they totally made fun of the whole "malfunction" from the opening ceremonies. That was awesome (well except for the clown/mime guy). It was a funny and fitting conclusion to something that would have forever been a source of embarrassment and ridicule. But then...I don't know about you, it kinda went downhill from there. Even the states broadcast gave up and put on some other show, even though it wasn't even over! (Or perhaps they just got irritated with the whole "we won the hockey game" theme that kept coming up). BTW, yes, I was watching it on the US channel instead of the canadian channel. (I like Bob Costas' commentary).  Though I did change it when I realized it wasn't over yet...So what did you think of the performers? I was a little disappointed. No, lots. Really? They couldn't get DRAKE (He was on Degrassi!)? or even Justin Bieber (he's from Winnipeg!)??? And what was with all the opera? I love opera as much as the next guy, but come on. They kept showing M.J. Fox, but why wasn't my boyfriend Ryan Reynolds one of the people who came out to say why they love Canada?! Why couldn't they get Russell Peters to come out and make fun of us? We love it when he makes fun of us!

Anyways, So the Olympics are over...the 2 weeks where we watch, riveted to WHATEVER sport is on and become an expert on triple salchows and double axels, 1080's and 1260's (Is that what they're called?) is dunzo. (I mean, even my mom is all "Tet! Did you see when da states had a powerplay?" (yes, mom). Yes, for 17 days we became experts on ski-jumping, snow-boarding and slaloms. We discussed the differences of the luge, bob-sled and skeleton (hm...they all involve sitting in or on something that races down a track of ice at breakneck speeds...) and we analyzed the complexity of the spins and jumps during the figure skating competitons ("that so was NOT a triple triple double axel!") and of course the male figure skater outfits ("Feathers! He must have feathers!"). But now its over. Our lives go back to normal and I can now watch American Idol without having to worry that I'm missing the very important combined freestyle competetion. (whatever that was).

Buh-bye, Olympics see you in Fo-Sochi.   

1 comment:

  1. Go CANADA! Who knew you were so patriotic, Lee! I love that you say we became winter sports experts - so true! Although, I don't consider myself one...but I did learn a few things: 1) Crosby looks like Tom Welling from Smallville and 2) I like figure skating better than ice dancing because the guy gets to throw the girl.

    Props to the Little Rascals reference!

    ReplyDelete